The Career Advisor role works directly with clients in one-on-one and group-based environments, providing guidance and skills building support in person and virtual. The role also connects with employers and organizations across industries to engage them in the program as mentors, guest speakers and connection-building with program clients and identify job opportunities for clients as required.
What you’ll be doing:
- Working with Afghan Refugee Self Identified Women to explore ways to help increase clients’ likelihood of finding work by connecting clients with business and employer community, WorkBC Employment Services, hiring fairs and employment-related events
- Researching, developing and delivering curriculum and workshop materials
- Conducting information sessions at WorkBC Employment Service Centres and other community programs throughout Metro Vancouver to market the program and recruit clients
- Collaborating with internal YWCA departments: Marketing, Fund Development, Employment, to coordinate initiatives for program promotion and outreach
- Planning and coordinating networking events and guest speaker presentations that relate to clients’ career development, job search, personal and professional leadership
- Assessing client needs and developing individualized action plan to meet goals
- Monitoring project outcomes and trends; creating monthly reporting on metrics; conducting participant follow-up and surveys
- Marketing to employers to promote specific candidate skill sets, marketing the right skills to the right job leads
- Acting as a champion of the program, promoting Afghan Women’s Employment throughout community and offsite workshops/presentations
- Maintaining a rapport with clients pre/post program to ensure candidates receive appropriate support and connect clients to employment programming and community resources
- Representing the YWCA Metro Vancouver and/or WorkBC to community partners and other organizations as requested
- Strategizing with leadership to continually improve processes and increase employment statistic
- Adhere to onsite Health and Safety Procedures
- Other duties as required
What you’ll need:
- Excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills and working knowledge of another language (Dari and Pashto)
- Strong knowledge of employment programs and services, online delivery and adult learning methodologies, and local labour market conditions
- Knowledge of issues and barriers that this client group can face and the ability to provide solutions to meet these barriers
- Knowledge working with people of diverse backgrounds and awareness of specific ethnocultural minority communities and resources available for clients
- Passion for working with refugee self-identified women while providing holistic supports
- Experience in cross-cultural communication and service methods appropriate to clients with low literacy and low English skills
- Tactful, discreet, diplomatic, patient, self motivated, flexibly and culturally sensitive.
- Highly effective relationship builder with a track record of establishing strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- A motivated, flexible and positive individual who is excited and driven to ensure others are successful, both individually and as part of a team
- Excellent computer skills (all Microsoft Applications), video conferencing and office equipment
- Access to reliable transportation and ability to travel throughout Metro-Vancouver, and the ability to work in person during office hours at the YWCA program location; willingness to work at and commute to other YWCA locations in Metro Vancouver on occasions.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends, and work remotely as required
- Related post-secondary degree or diploma, or equivalent combination of education and experience in Social Services, Psychology, Humanities, or Counselling or equivalent knowledge, skills and life experience
- Two years of experience providing assessment, employment counselling, facilitation, job development and providing referral services to professional and non-professional clients
- CCDP Certification considered an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
- Ability to occasionally work after hours and on weekends for special events
- A valid clear criminal record check (including working with vulnerable populations) is required.
- The YWCA Metro Vancouver’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination from COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the YWCA deem it necessary to reintroduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
What we offer: We offer our eligible employees the following benefits as part of their total compensation package:
- extended medical and dental benefits
- a defined benefit pension plan
- flexible working arrangements for applicable positions
- Employee Family Assistance Program, a confidential and voluntary support service for employees and their eligible family members
- free membership to our Health + Fitness Centre, discounts at our YWCA Hotel and priority in YWCA Child Care centres
- a workplace that prioritizes employee health, safety and wellbeing, including many learning and growth opportunities such as our staff mentorship program and three equity committees who help to support our goals towards achieving meaningful equity and inclusion.
This is an exciting time for the YWCA. Join us and be part of an inclusive, dedicated and impactful workplace! Candidates are invited to send cover letters and resumes to:
Etab Saad, Associate Director, Employment and Training Services (she/her)
535 Hornby Street, Vancouver, BC, V6C 2E8
This position will remain open until filled.
We are committed to ensuring that the application and interview processes are accessible to all applicants; if you require accommodations in submitting your application, or have other questions, please contact the hiring manager as listed. All employment will be decided on the basis of qualifications, transferrable skills, lived experience, and business need. We thank all who apply, but only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. For more information about this and other YWCA Metro Vancouver career opportunities, please visit ywcavan.org.