The YWCA Metro Vancouver has 13 housing sites providing safe, affordable housing to women who are single mothers and their children, in various locations across Metro Vancouver.
The role of the Maintenance Worker is to provide maintenance of the building structures, building systems, landscaping, fixtures, some furniture and to ensure the overall upkeep of our housing communities.
- Daily building inspections, both inside and out for safety, security, and property damage.
- General clean-up of the property, including garbage clean-up.
- Landscaping work, including mowing lawns, weeding, sweeping walkways, raking leaves, trimming and pruning bushes, and some snow removal.
- Power washing of parking garages and walkways.
- Minor repairs of common areas and suites (repairing walls, painting, flooring repairs, ceilings etc,)
- Minor building repairs such as replacing handles & door hardware, adjusting door swing, and miscellaneous other interior and exterior repairs.
- Unit preparation between move-out and move-in. This may include some packing and moving of tenant belongings & furniture into storage and some cleaning.
- Cleaning and maintaining storage and workshop areas within the building, in conformance with safety standards.
- Purchase, receive, move, and store supplies and equipment.
HVAC & Plumbing:
- Preventative maintenance and inspections of mechanical (HVAC & Plumbing) equipment as per checklists, including changing filters, verifying operation of equipment and other activities as required.
- Minor plumbing repairs such as unclogging drains and toilets, changing toilet handles, and other repairs that do not require a trade certificate.
- Minor electrical repairs, including replacement of common area light bulbs, replacement of light fixtures, switches, and other repairs that do not require a trade certificate.
- Repair and/or installation of common household appliances.
- Using Arcori to keep daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly logs of repairs, maintenance and inspections.
- Using Safetyline to check in regularly during the work day
- Using ADP Workforce now to record hours
- Responding to daily emails on Outlook
- Using Zoom or Microsoft Teams to attend meetings
- Posting notices and delivering correspondence as directed by the Facilities Manager, Property Manager or Assets Clerk.
- Facilitating access and helping to coordinate contractors and vendors on site, as directed by the Facilities Manager, Property Manager or Assets Clerk
Skills & Qualifications:
- Functional English written and verbal communications
- Strong organization skills
- Ability to work autonomously
- Fast, accurate painting skills are a necessity
- Basic plumbing knowledge, as required to repair toilets, sinks, and taps/faucets.
- Basic electrical knowledge, as required to replace switches, light fixtures, thermostats, fans and appliances.
- Basic knowledge of mechanical systems
- Willingness to do landscaping and cleaning.
- Ability to lift 20 kg
- Ability to climb ladders up to 3 metres in height
- General ability to use a mobile phone and computer for emails
- Willingness to learn and use Arcori, Safetyline, ADP Workforce now, Outlook, Zoom and Microsoft Teams
Pay: $26.52 /hr
ABOUT THE YWCA
This year, YWCA Metro Vancouver marks 125 years of serving our community. We recognize that Canada was founded through colonialist and racist policies, and the YWCA was established and operated during this time. We also recognize that these legacies exist in our present time and are committed to actively decolonizing our policies, programs and practices. Our vision: We boldly envision a just and equitable world for women, families and allies. Our mission: We advance gender equity alongside women, families, Two-Spirit and gender diverse people through advocacy and integrated services that help support personal, collective and economic wellbeing.
This is an exciting time for the YWCA. Join us and be part of a passionate, dedicated and impactful team!
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an inclusive and rewarding workplace. Candidates are invited to send cover letters and resumes to:
Facilities Manager – Housing and Violence Prevention
YWCA Metro Vancouver is committed to ensuring that the application and interview processes are accessible to all applicants; if you require accommodations in submitting your application, or have other questions, please contact the hiring manager as listed. All employment will be decided on the basis of qualifications, transferrable skills, lived experience, and business need. We thank all who apply, but only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. For more information about this and other YWCA Metro Vancouver career opportunities, please visit ywcavan.org.