COVID-19 Health & Safety Plan
With great care and planning, we have put in preventative measures and protocols for your health and safety.
We ask for your diligence in following these instructions and in doing your part to help keep our members, staff, and communities safe. Learn more about what we’re doing and how you can prepare for your visit below.
During this phase all workouts and in-person appointments must be booked in advance online. We ask that as you go through the process direct all enquiries through email and phone. This will allow some staff to work from home and keep physical distance.
With the anticipated volume in membership reactivation and bookings, we want to thank you in advance for patience and understanding. We've reopened in a new world with COVID-19 and some areas of operations have changed significantly.
Our commitment to provide a high standard of service however will never change. We'll continue to monitor and adapt operations as needed - please bear with us while we navigate this unprecedented time in the fitness industry and in history.
*Member Services team and lifeguards have been undergoing training for new First Aid protocols during COVID-19 from our regulating bodies. It is recommended that we ask those in the high risk population to refrain from working out in the pool and fitness facility at this time.
- Physical distancing markers of at least 2 meters throughout the facility for spatial awareness and/or zones that you should be in
- Rearrangement of equipment and spaces to ensure physical distance of at least 2 meters
- Designation of directional flow using floor arrows in various areas, such as one-way stairwells for entering and exiting the gym floor
- Doors will be propped open where possible
- Reconfiguration of the lobby to maintain physical distance
- Frequent disinfecting and cleaning of high touch-points and washrooms throughout the day as well as nightly deep cleaning of the facility after hours
- Limit overall facility capacity to under 40%, with additional limits in the studios and workout areas. Please observe the capacity limits posted on the doors
- Clear information posted throughout the facility on preventative hygiene methods to minimize the potential risk of transmission
- Hand sanitizers and additional cleaning supplies (for wiping down equipment) are available throughout the facility
- Members are required to wash hands or use hand sanitizers throughout the visit, including upon arrival and exit
- Members are required to wipe down equipment before and after use
PREPARING YOUR VISIT
- Contact Member Services at email@example.com to re-activate your membership before visiting the facility. Upon reactivation, you’ll be guided to our online booking system to schedule your workouts. Members not ready to return to the facility can keep their membership on freeze until August 31, 2020
- Book up to 4 workouts a week, maximum of one per day, at 3 hours to 7 days in advance. All users will have a maximum of 75 minutes in the facility. You can book a workout or a class. In anticipation of high demand for the pool area, you can only book a 30 minute session with showers available before and after your swim. Pool users are also welcome to use the fitness area before or after the swim for a maximum total of 75 minutes in the facility
- Only come to the facility when you have met the health screening criteria and have a booked workout. Please arrive as close to your booking time as possible. Be sure to cancel your booking if you develop any symptoms by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Come dressed for your workout to minimize your use of the locker rooms. Pool users however must have a cleansing shower in the locker room before entering the pool deck. Enter the pool deck no more than 5 minutes before your booked time
- Bring your reusable water bottle as water fountains will only be available for filling bottles
- Towel service will resume. Please email Member Services, email@example.com, if you’d like to add towel service to your membership
- Follow the preventative measures above and others posted in the facility
- Feel free to wear a mask where you think physical distancing may be a challenge. Our staff will wear masks in situations where PPE is required and in other instances where they cannot observe physical distance e.g. first aid incidents
- Equipment will be set up ahead of time in group fitness classes that require them. After the class, please wipe down the equipment and leave them in designated areas for the staff to disinfect and put away
- When you can’t make it in the facility, join our live streaming classes or access one of the pre-recorded workouts in our online video collection on Vimeo. You will be given a password to access the content.
- Steam room and hot tub will operate with reduced capacity assuming there are no COVID-19 outbreaks identified in our region as per Vancouver Coastal Health. When these amenities are closed, a notice would be posted on Member Alerts - please check before your visit. The use of these amenities will be a part of your pool booking
- Communal items such as hair dryers, hair straighteners, magazines, and small equipment in the hallways e.g. stretch bands have been temporarily removed
- Fans and hand dryers are unavailable to eliminate the potential dispersion of droplets. Additional paper towels dispensers have been installed for use
- Training activities will not include hands-on adjustment by trainers and instructors
- New memberships, drop-ins and the purchase of new punch cards will be welcomed as capacity permits. Please enquire through email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aquafit classes are not available in the initial re-opening. Stay tuned for an update in July
Reopening in Stages
Phase 2 of BC's Restart Plan includes the re-opening of gyms and fitness facilities like ours. While we are looking forward to seeing everyone, the health and safety of our members, staff and the rest of YWCA community remains our first priority. We are proceeding cautiously with thorough planning.
The YWCA Health + Fitness Centre will re-open in stages when it feels right, and when we have the appropriate procedures, processes and equipment in place to meet the health authority's operating standards. We will continue to monitor and follow the health authority's directives should they change.
We are modelling our opening to that of other fitness centres around the world. It will look and feel different when we re-open, and until we can freely move in our environments there will be restrictions in place. We thank you for your patience while we navigate this next 'normal'.
With this update we wanted to share some high level plans and projected timelines around our stages of re-opening. There will be more details to come in our next communication.
Stage 1 - Early June | Soft opening for Prepaid Personal Training
- Membership payments continue to be suspended for everyone
- Clients with existing prepaid PT sessions can book time to come in the facility with their trainer, Tuesday to Thursday, 6 AM - 5:30 PM
Stage 2 - Starting mid-June | Facility re-opens with COVID-19 protocols
- Members ready to return to the facility will resume their payments with credits from March being utilized first. Returning members will be required to update their PAR-Q and sign a COVID-19 waiver
- All workouts in the facility will be scheduled via an online booking system to meet a maximum capacity limit of 50 users
- Maximum allotted time in the facility for each user is 75 minutes
- Pool will be bookable for a 30 minute time use
- Group fitness classes will also be bookable with a limit of 15 participants. Live streaming will be available for those that want to work out at home or elsewhere. Pre-recorded classes are accessible anytime at your convenience
- Locker rooms will be available for pool users as showers are mandatory before entering the pool area. For non-pool users, we encourage limited use of the locker rooms to help with social distancing and capacity restrictions
Stage 3 - Starting September (subject to change)
- All remaining memberships on freeze will be re-activated
- Possible lifting of some facility restrictions depending on health authority's recommendations and other external factors
We'll continue to adapt our operations as needed when we re-open. You can listen to the Director of YWCA Health + Fitness Centre's CBC interview on the facility's re-opening.
There will be more information and details when plans for the various areas are finalized, such as the new class schedule or the online booking system. We know you will have follow-up questions to this communication or others, please stay tuned. At this time, we do not have Member Services staff available to answer individual calls regarding re-opening plans. For immediate concerns, please email email@example.com.