YWCA FOCUS@Work is a free employment program that helps women assess their skills and strengths, set career goals, build connections and develop job search skills to find meaningful, sustainable employment.
Workshops and Assignments - hybrid online/in-person model (weeks 1 – 3):
- Group online workshops (Monday to Friday, from 10:00am to 12:00pm)
- Afternoon group coaching and workshops, online and in-person (Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, 2:00pm to 3:00pm)
- Group self-study online (Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1:30pm to 2:30pm)
- Assessments (career, personality, skills, interests and values)
- Personal development (self-esteem and self-assertion, effective communication, conflict resolution and coping with change and stress)
- Job search skills (resumé, cover letter, portfolio, personal branding, interviews, networking, hidden job market access and current labour market information)
Coaching and Job Search Support:
Up to five one-to-one coaching sessions (weeks 4 – 12); job search support in a group setting and online for up to one year.
- Daily guidance, support and encouragement
- Weekly goal setting and action planning
- Job leads and networking opportunities through online resources
- Resource library access up to one year from program start
- Computer and Internet access up to one year from program start
- Ongoing access to career development workshops through our Alumnae Experience Program
We offer financial assistance for transit and child care based on eligibility.
What past participants have to say about FOCUS
The most valuable aspect of my participation at the FOCUS program was the visualization exercises and the personal relationships I have made. They have helped me personally with being more mindful, as well as building better connections in my professional and personal life. —Jessica, program graduate
FOCUS @ Work aligned with my need to understand my skills, endeavours and where I fit in the job environment. The workshops were informative and focused on individual’s specific circumstances and therefore covered all scenarios that one could face in life. The guest speakers as well as the various members we have interacted with, were generous with information and advice. The feeling of support and guidance was prominent in all interactions. —H., program graduate
When I landed in Canada, I applied for tons of opportunities in my sector, in multitude of roles, however, kept wondering as to why I never received interview calls. During my search, I got to know of YWCA and its programs and heard highly positive things about FOCUS @ Work, so I decided to register for this program. The rigorous lessons and support (for attending the program every day and professional attire for interviews) made it really easy for me to focus on being successful in the interviews. I developed great relationships not only within my peer group but also with senior leaders of various organizations who visited often to share their insight. —N., program graduate