YWCA Pathways to Leadership is a FREE program for immigrant and refugee* single mothers that helps you build confidence, develop leadership skills and make lasting connections on your journey towards a brighter future for you and your family in Canada.
*Immigrant & refugee single mothers of any status are welcome.
Next program: March to November 2020 | Vancouver and Surrey - now accepting participants
This 7-month program consists of 17 weekly classroom sessions and optional five months of one-to-one support from a mentor. The goal of the mentorship component is to help you apply what you have learned about yourself and Canada and to explore career or education options that fit your life goals. You will also have the opportunity to work in a guided project on the civil engagement topic of your choice, such as Canadian workplace culture, community centres or volunteering in Canada.
Free childminding and light lunch is provided while you are in the classroom sessions. Transit tickets are available for those in need.
What to expect from the program:
- Build your confidence and leadership skills
- Build your network and connect with other people, programs and organizations for ongoing learning
- Learn to advocate for yourself and your community
- Explore opportunities to volunteer and build your Canadian experience
- Learn about common experiences with other immigrant single moms and ways to overcome them
- Get support from a mentor to explore your career interests and options, including education/training plan.
- Become more comfortable in speaking in groups and asking questions
- Gain information on employment, education and training resources in the Metro Vancouver area
- Learn about support and resources that address the challenges of single parenting
- Explore your interests, skills and strengths
- Help you build a career plan for work that fits your life and goals
What is the commitment?
- March to July: attend one day of class (from 10:00am - 2:00pm) every week
- August to October: attend one day of class (from noon - 2:00pm) two times each month
- June to November: meet with your mentor twice a month to support your goals (mentorship meeting locations and schedule are flexible to be decided by you and your mentor)