YWCA Pathways to Leadership is a free online program for immigrant and refugee* single mothers that helps you build confidence, develop leadership skills and make lasting connections on your journey towards a brighter future for you and your family in Canada.
*Immigrant & refugee single mothers of any status are welcome.
The program will run from February to August, 2021 with 25 online classes and an optional five months of one-to-one support from a mentor. The goal of the mentorship component is to help you apply what you have learned about yourself and Canada and to explore career or education options that fit your life goals. You will also have the opportunity to work on a guided project on a civil engagement topic of your choice, such as Canadian workplace culture, community centres or volunteering in Canada.
What to expect from the program:
- Build your confidence and leadership skills
- Build your network and connect with other people, programs and organizations for ongoing learning
- Learn to advocate for yourself and your community
- Explore opportunities to volunteer and build your Canadian experience
- Learn about common experiences with other immigrant single moms and ways to overcome them
- Get support from a mentor to explore your career interests and options, including education/training plan.
- Become more comfortable in speaking in groups and asking questions
- Gain information on employment, education and training resources in the Metro Vancouver area
- Learn about support and resources that address the challenges of single parenting
- Explore your interests, skills and strengths
- Help you build a career plan for work that fits your life and goals
What is the commitment?
- February to June: Wednesdays, 9:30am to 1:15pm
- July to August: Two Wednesdays a month from 10:00am to 12:00pm
- April to August: meet with your mentor twice a month online to support your goals (mentorship meeting schedule is flexible and should be decided by you and your mentor)