Facility Rules & Etiquette
The YWCA Health + Fitness Centre strives to provide a safe, clean and enjoyable environment for all.
Please be familiar with our code of conduct, etiquette and operating principles.
- Members must use their membership card to gain access to the facility. Membership cards are not transferrable
- Members and/or guests must be 15 years of age or older to use the facilities (except during posted family swim times)
- Proper conduct and respectful behavior is expected. Disrespectful conduct and communication, not limited to, harassment or threats, abusive, aggressive, fraudulent, inappropriate or hostile behavior will not be tolerated. Failure to comply may result in immediate suspension or loss of membership
- The 3rd floor and locker rooms are unsupervised areas. All member incidents must be reported to Member Services right away. This includes injuries, conflicts and suspicious activity. Dial 5777 on any member phone for immediate assistance
- Call 5555 on any member phone to alert staff emergency responders for major medical situations
- Those who are ill should visit a doctor before using the facility
- Anyone under the influence of alcohol or drugs is not permitted in the facility
- Glass containers are not permitted anywhere in the facility
- Photography and video is not permitted without the authorization of YWCA Health + Fitness management
- YWCA Metro Vancouver is not responsible for property left in lockers, on the premises, or in the bike lock-up
Use of scented products
- Avoid the use of any scented products. Scents and fragrances may cause severe allergic reactions in some people.
- Refrain from using or applying perfume, fragrance or scented products while at the facility. This includes applying nail polish/remover, using scented hairspray or other hair products, scented deodorants and body lotions
- Cell phone use is not permitted in the locker rooms. Due to the camera feature on the phones it is necessary that this rule be strictly enforced
- Cell phones are not permitted in the pool area
- Cell phone use is not permitted during group fitness classes
- Use your cell phones on the 3rd floor in the cardio and weight rooms for music and app use, but please restrict phone conversations to the main floor lobby. WiFi available, please see Member Services for the password
- Clean and appropriate bathing attire is required
- Showers using soap are required before entering the pool, hot tub and steam room. Please remove all face, body, and hair products
- Those who are ill or have an open wound or sore are prohibited from entering the pool area
- Contaminating or fouling the pool is prohibited
- No running, fighting or any activity that may cause injury
- No shaving, teeth brushing, and spitting in the pool area include the steam room and hot tub
- No outdoor shoes
- No diving
- No loitering
- No pets, only guide animals are permitted
- Personal bags and belongings are not permitted on the pool deck
- All injuries or incidents MUST be reported immediately to the Lifeguard
Steam room & hot tub rules
- Consult your physician before using the hot tub and/or steam room, especially those who are pregnant or have heart disease, diabetes, high/low blood pressure and people taking medication for cardiovascular or nerve disorders
- Limit each stay to a maximum of 10 minutes and have a cool shower after
- Do not submerge your head in the hot tub
- Do not pour water on or tamper with the steam room sensor
Length swimming etiquette
- Swim in a lane suited to your capabilities
- Swim continuous lengths without stopping
- Swim in a counter clockwise direction
- Passing must be done on the left hand side when safe
- Allow the swimmer in front of you a minimum of 5 second lead before following
- Stand to the side when resting
- Let faster swimmers pass
Family swim rules
Family swim is offered to our members on weekends. Please check website or with Member Services for times.
- Children under eight (8) years of age must be accompanied in the water, and remain within arm’s reach of a responsible person of at least sixteen (16) years of age at all times.
- Children under eight are not permitted in steam room and/or hot tub.
- One adult can be responsible for maximum of 3 children under the age of 8
- Infants and toddlers are required to wear swim diapers and/or elastic swim pants
NOTE - we do not have any amenities for family changing. Children 8 years and under may use the opposite gender change room when accompanied by a parent or guardian. Children over the age of 8 are required to use the same gender change room at all times. Please contact Member Services if you have any questions, 604.895.5777.
- Personal bags and belongings are not permitted in the fitness area or pool deck. Please bring a quality lock to secure your belongings in a locker. Lock your locker at all times, use the wallet lockers provided, or leave your valuables at home.
- Lockers are for your use while you’re working out. Please take your belongings when you leave the facility. Locks will be cut off if you are not on the premise.
- Attention to personal hygiene is expected
- Towel dry before you leave the shower area to avoid creating slippery floors (towel service is available at member services). Put used towels in the towel chute
Weight room and cardio room
- Clean and proper attire is required including shirts and running shoes in the weight and cardio rooms
- Personal items and bags are not permitted in the cardio room, weight room and studios.
- Replace dumbbells, weight plates and small equipment after use
- Use collars when using the Olympic bars
- Wipe down equipment after use
- Share the machines / work in sets with other members
- Place used towels in the bins provided
- Openness & Honesty is the basis of our interactions and relationships
- Communication is frequent and varied and feedback is constructive and
- Trust & Fairness in our approach creates an atmosphere of
- Diversity of individuals, ideas and opinions is a strength, which supports
personal growth and creativity (YWCA Diversity & Inclusion Policy)
- Cooperation & Teamwork are important in sharing responsibility and
recognizing our interdependence
- Recognition is given in appreciation for individual accomplishments.
Excellence is the standard for services and for individual effort
- Leadership & Decision Making rely on personal initiative to solve problems in
consultation with affected individuals
- Conflict Resolutions are constructive and welcomed as opportunities leading
to better decisions
- Creativity & Challenge are encouraged and new approaches and a “can do”