Fitness Centre Policies
The YWCA Health + Fitness Centre strives to provide a safe, clean and enjoyable environment for all.
Please familiarize yourself with our code of conduct, etiquette and operating principles.
- Members must use their membership card to gain access to the facility. Membership cards are not transferrable.
- Members and/or guests must be 15 years of age or older to use the facilities.
- Proper conduct and respectful behaviour is expected. Disrespectful conduct and communication, not limited to harassment, threats or abusive, aggressive, fraudulent, inappropriate or hostile behaviour, will not be tolerated. Failure to comply may result in immediate suspension or loss of membership.
- The 3rd floor and locker rooms are unsupervised areas. All member incidents must be reported to Member Services right away. This includes injuries, conflicts and suspicious activity. Dial 5777 on any member phone for immediate assistance.
- Call 5555 on any member phone to alert staff emergency responders for major medical situations.
- Those who are ill should visit a doctor before using the facility.
- Anyone under the influence of alcohol or drugs is not permitted in the facility.
- Glass containers are not permitted anywhere in the facility.
- Photography and video are not permitted without the authorization of YWCA Health + Fitness management.
- YWCA Metro Vancouver is not responsible for property left in lockers, on the premises or in the bike lock-up.
- Additional health and safety protocols are in effect during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Refrain from using or applying perfume, fragrance or scented products while at the facility. This includes applying nail polish/remover, using scented hairspray or other hair products, scented deodorants and body lotions.
Cell phone use is not permitted in the locker rooms. Due to the camera feature on the phones it is necessary that this rule be strictly enforced.
Cell phones are not permitted in the pool area.
Cell phone use is not permitted during group fitness classes.
Cell phones are permitted on the 3rd floor in the cardio and weight rooms for music and app use. Phone conversations are restricted to the main floor lobby. WiFi is available, please see Member Services for the password.
- Clean and appropriate bathing attire is required.
- Showers using soap are required before entering the pool, hot tub and steam room. Please remove all face, body and hair products.
- Those who are ill or have an open wound or sore are prohibited from entering the pool area.
- Contaminating or fouling the pool is prohibited.
- No running, fighting or any activity that may cause injury.
- No shaving, teeth brushing and spitting in the pool area, including the steam room and hot tub.
- No outdoor shoes.
- No diving.
- No loitering.
- No pets, only guide animals are permitted.
- Personal bags and belongings are not permitted on the pool deck.
- All injuries or incidents MUST be reported immediately to the lifeguard.
Consult your physician before using the hot tub and/or steam room, especially if you are pregnant or have heart disease, diabetes, high/low blood pressure and/or are taking medication for cardiovascular or nerve disorders.
Limit each stay to a maximum of 10 minutes and have a cool shower after.
Do not submerge your head in the hot tub.
Do not pour water on or tamper with the steam room sensor.
Personal bags and belongings are not permitted in the fitness area or pool deck. Please bring a quality lock to secure your belongings in a locker. Lock your locker at all times, use the wallet lockers provided or leave your valuables at home.
Lockers are for your use while you’re working out. Please take your belongings when you leave the facility. Locks will be cut off if you are not on the premises.
Attention to personal hygiene is expected.
Towel dry before you leave the shower area to avoid creating slippery floors (towel service is available for a fee at member services). Place used towels in the towel chute.
Clean and proper attire is required, including shirts and running shoes in the weight and cardio rooms.
Personal items and bags are not permitted in the cardio room, weight room and studios.
Replace dumbbells, weight plates and small equipment after use.
Use collars when using the Olympic bars.
Wipe down equipment after use.
Share the machines/work in sets with other members.
Place used towels in the bins provided.
- Wear clean, non-marking indoor court shoes. This is mandatory as the court floors are unfinished wood.
- Arrive on time for your court booking and leave promptly at the end of the reservation.
- Openness and honesty are the basis of our interactions and relationships.
- Communication is frequent and varied, and feedback is constructive and respectful.
- Trust and fairness in our approach creates an atmosphere of mutual support.
- Diversity of individuals, ideas and opinions is a strength, which supports personal growth and creativity (YWCA Diversity & Inclusion Policy).
- Cooperation and teamwork are important in sharing responsibility and recognizing our interdependence.
- Recognition is given in appreciation for individual accomplishments.
- Excellence is the standard for services and for individual effort.
- Leadership and decision making rely on personal initiative to solve problems in consultation with affected individuals.
- Conflict resolutions are constructive and welcomed as opportunities leading to better decisions.
- Creativity and challenge are encouraged and new approaches and a “can do” attitude guide.