YWCA Aspire is a FREE employment program that assists newcomer refugee women in gaining valuable work experience with organizations in Metro Vancouver.
COVID-19 Update: All our workshops and info sessions have temporarily moved online. Our priority is to ensure the health and safety of our program participants and staff; we will resume our in-class workshops once it's safe to do so.
- Six weeks of group-based employment workshops
- Up to 12 weeks of PAID work placement
- Three weeks of follow up support
- Financial assistance for transit and child care support for eligible participants (during the training weeks)
- Workplace Conversation Circles as a peer support network
Participants must be:
- A self-identified newcomer refugee woman who is a Permanent Resident or Protected Person (Convention Refugee), legally entitled to work in Canada
- Currently on Resettlement Assistance program or receiving Income Assistance OR a privately sponsored refugee
- Unemployed and not a full-time student
Next start dates:
- August 10, 2020
- October 19, 2020
Register for an information session or call us at 604 323 4233.
4th Floor - 535 Hornby Street, Vancouver
604 323 4233 | firstname.lastname@example.org
What participants say about the program:
The Aspire program was an instrumental program for me. I've improved my interview and job search skills and learned how to make a good resume and cover letter. I also learned more about my personality and what my weaknesses and strengths are. This program has increased my networking circle by making new friends and learning from their experiences. I've developed my knowledge of the BC Labor Market and prepared myself for my successful work experience. The Aspire program also helped me to have a successful interview at Mosaic and get a full-time job as an Outreach Case Manager. Now I'm using everything I've learned from the program in my career. I'm so grateful and thankful to everyone in this program. – A. M.
The gentle guidance and willingness of the Aspire team to help us, refugees, were so important to me. All classes and guest speakers were so helpful and inspirational. They made me review my talents and evaluate my abilities to find myself in a better position. I became more familiar with the business market, work culture, and the process of finding a suitable job until the employment phase in Canada. The Aspire team has made such a difference in my life over the past few months, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. I feel I am not alone in this situation, and I can find new online ways to learn and communicate. For your smiles each day, your words of encouragement, your support during difficult times, I thank you. – S. F.