YWCA Changing Gears is a free 24-week truck driving training program for unemployed self-identifying women. Participants will have the opportunity to acquire a Class 1 driver’s license as well as the training needed to kick start a career in transportation.
- Class 1 MELT Driver training including:
- On the road lessons
- Air Brakes certification
- Commercial driving courses
- Occupational First Aid Level I, WHMIS
- Self-defense training
- Health and wellness component
- Pre-employment and job search support
- Work experience and placement
Unemployed self-identifying women who:
- Currently on EI OR; Had an EI claim in the last five years OR; Have earned $2,000 or more and paid employee EI premiums in at least 5 of the last 10 years OR; Have established a benefit period and were paid maternity benefits within the past five years and are re-entering the labour force OR; BC Employment Assistance (BCEA) clients including PWD and non-PWD clients
- Have a valid Class 5 BC driver’s license and a clean driver’s abstract
- Are proficient in English
- Are Canadian citizens or permanent residents
All eligible participants require a referral from a WorkBC centre.
The first eight weeks takes place in-person in Vancouver and online. Subsequent driving courses and lessons to take place in Abbotsford, Coquitlam, Surrey, Chilliwack or Langley.
The program begins on June 5, 2023. If you meet the eligibility requirements, contact your local WorkBC Centre and ask for a referral from a case manager. Find a WorkBC Centre near you at workbccentres.ca.
For information about registration, please call us at 604 690 7341 or email us at email@example.com.
YWCA Changing Gears
604 690 7341 | firstname.lastname@example.org