YWCA Changing Gears
YWCA Changing Gears is a free truck driver training program for self-identifying women. Participants will have the opportunity to acquire a Class 1 driver’s license as well as the training needed to kick start a career in transportation.
Please note this employment program is not currently accepting applications.
- Class 1 Driver training and on-the-road practice (city and mountain)
- Air-brake certification
- Group pre-trip course
- National Safety Code (log books)
- Load Securement – practical
- Defensive Driving, Extreme Driving Courses
- Hauling Freight, Commercial Driving Courses
- SMART Driver Course
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods
- Occupational First Aid Level I, WHMIS
- Self-defense training
- Health and wellness component
- Job search support and placement with local employers
Our training is provided in partnership with Valley Driving School.
Unemployed self-identifying women who:
- Are currently on EI or have been within the last five years OR have earned $2,000 or more and paid employee EI premiums in at least five of the last 10 years OR have established a benefit period and were paid maternity benefits within the past five years and are re-entering the labour force
- Have a valid Class 5 BC driver’s license and a clean driver’s abstract
- Have no outstanding fines and/or bridge tolls
- Are proficient in English
- Are Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- Are able to commit to 23 weeks of full-time classroom and practical training
All participants require a referral to the program from a WorkBC Centre. WorkBC will cover the cost of transportation and child care.
The first six weeks take place in Vancouver (Marpole) and subsequent driving lessons take place in the Fraser Valley, depending on where participants live (Abbotsford, Coquitlam, Surrey, Chilliwack or Langley).
We are not currently accepting applications for Changing Gears.
When we are, if you meet the eligibility requirements, contact your local WorkBC Centre and ask for a referral from a case manager. Find a WorkBC Centre near you at workbccentres.ca.
YWCA Changing Gears
604 809 1001 | firstname.lastname@example.org