YWCA Gear Up is a free 13-week program that equips youth ages 15 - 30 with the skills, certification and employer connections necessary to work as a bike mechanic.
- Five weeks of in-class skills development workshops, including Introduction to Bike Mechanics Certificate
- Six weeks of work experience with a local bike repair shop (honorarium provided)
- Two weeks of one-to-one job search support
- 15 to 30 years of age
- A Canadian Citizen, permanent resident or protected person (under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, S.C. 2001, c. 27)
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Unemployed, underemployed (working less than 20h/week) and not a full-time student
- Able to participate in a 13-week program
COVID-19 Update: All bike mechanic workshops will take place in a bike shop provided by the Pedal Society with COVID-19 safety protocols.
Next start date: October 10, 2023. We accept referrals on an ongoing basis.
After two and a half years of online program delivery, we are happy to introduce a new hybrid model, which will continue to provide participants with the flexibility of taking some of the workshops from home, but will add the much-needed face-to-face interactions between participants and facilitators.
For more information on the program schedule, please attend an information session or contact us.
If you have any accessibility needs, please contact us to discuss accommodation.
YWCA GEAR UP
Career Zone | 2nd Floor, 1256 Granville Street, Vancouver, BC
604 605 4666 or 604 250 9342 | email@example.com