Sam's Skills Max journey
When Sam enrolled in the Skills Max program’s Warehousing stream, his vision was to obtain his forklift certification; nothing more, nothing less. He didn’t have a specific plan in mind, but he knew he wanted to take a positive step towards building a career. Six weeks later, he came out the other side having accomplished that goal, and so much more than he’d initially anticipated.
With the program’s structure consisting of a combination of warehouse training – where he would gain his forklift certification – and four weeks of employability workshops, Sam learned crucial theoretical and practical skills that would help him enter the workforce as prepared as possible.
He learned invaluable lessons about working with people, stress management and some very helpful tips and tricks around conducting effective job searches.
One of the key takeaways for Sam was gaining a better understanding of the different ways in which people work and communicate, which has been instrumental both in his career and beyond.
“I was surprised by how amazing and helpful those six weeks were, and I wished they were longer.”
Sam built strong working relationships with his teachers, who he credits as being the number one reason for turning up every day. They were supportive, knowledgeable and truly invested in Sam’s learning and development.
We are currently recruiting for Skills Max. The program includes:
- Employability workshops, including Career Pathways in the hospitality and warehousing sectors
- Banquet-serving training and job placement with major hotels and conferences; OR
- Warehousing training, including forklift certification, St. John’s Ambulance Industrial First Aid, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) and fall-protection training
- Working with a placement specialist to be placed in the hospitality or warehousing sectors with local employers
- On-the-job and financial supports
Are you ready to jumpstart your career? Apply to Skills Max today.