Sustainability isn’t just a buzzword at YWCA Metro Vancouver.
From attaining Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certifications on our new housing projects to cutting greenhouse gas and carbon emissions at the YWCA Hotel, we are committed to becoming a more sustainable organization.
We are proud to be on our way to becoming a leader in sustainable community development and a model for sustainable business in Metro Vancouver and beyond.
Below are just a few of the green projects and practices we have implemented at the YWCA.
- Our Rooftop Food Garden is a model of sustainable development in the heart of Vancouver, yielding more than 1,500 pounds of produce each year! The fresh fruits and veggies are then used to prepare nutritious meals for YWCA single moms and their kids.
- All our endowment and reserve funds are invested in socially responsible screened investments.
- Our newer housing projects, which include Cause We Care House and Pacific Spirit Terrace, are LEED Gold standard buildings.
- The YWCA Hotel has been retrofitted with energy efficient lighting, energy-saving showerheads and a boiler system that cuts greenhouse gas and carbon emissions.
- At the YWCA Health + Fitness Centre, we use Green Seal approved cleaning products.
- Our organics collection and recycling programs keep waste out of landfills.