Advance Gender Equality
Gender equality is foundational to everything we do at YWCA Metro Vancouver.
Our vision to achieve women's equality includes supporting the rights, safety and wellbeing of Two-Spirit, trans, non-binary and gender diverse people.
Gender equality is a basic human right and leads to healthier and more prosperous communities.
Yet locally and globally, women lack access to decent work and fair pay, are underrepresented in political and leadership positions, are left out of decision-making processes and face gender-based violence and discrimination.
Women are affected by barriers beyond their gender, including race, class, sexuality and ability.
- We engage business, community and government leaders to change policies and practices to advance gender equality. Our advocacy is grounded in the work we do each day, and informed by current research and evidence.
- We support women and girls with a range of integrated services like housing, child care, mentorship and employment.
- We act as a leading voice for gender equality by speaking up on issues like gender-based violence, sexualization and the gender care gap.
- We partner with diverse organizations to build momentum for gender equality.
- We engage men and boys as partners in our work to achieve gender equality.
YWCA Metro Vancouver is a pro-choice organization committed to supporting sexual and reproductive rights.
Let's shift culture
The YWCA Culture Shift project aims to shift attitudes and practices that perpetuate the sexualization of women and girls and the corresponding hypermasculinization of men and boys.