This Is It: how to stay motivated to achieve your fitness goals
Get fit, have fun, feel great…how do you stay motivated when it comes to maintaining an exercise routine?
We’ve all had times when we throw up our hands and say, “This is it!”
This statement is usually followed by a time reference and goal. Something like, “This year I will get in shape once and for all” or “Starting today I will take better care of myself!” or “This month I will lose the last 5 lbs!”
Setting goals is the easy part. But turning that initial motivation into action (not to mention sticking with it) is a challenge for most of us.
We don’t form new habits overnight. But once you’re following a regular exercise routine you’ll notice that you feel better, stronger and more empowered since regular physical activity is proven to:
• Boost your energy
• Improve your mood
• Reduce aches and pains
• Control your weight
• Combat health conditions and disease
• Promote better sleep
Sounds great, doesn't it? But how do you stay on track to achieve fitness success? As Director of the YWCA Health + Fitness Centre and a personal trainer and group class instructor, I've spent years advising members and observing what works and what doesn't.
Here are a few tips to keep you working toward your goals:
- Plan your workout and let nothing else get in the way. I’m always so impressed by our members who take the time each day to come to the gym. Their commitment to their health is admirable. Pick a time, schedule your workout (whether you set a reminder in your work calendar or plug it in your cellphone, recording your intention somewhere is crucial) and stick to your plan. If you’re scheduling your workout electronically, be sure to set a reminder on your calendar or in your phone.
- Be confident about your workout. It’s easy to look around and think, “Maybe I should be doing that exercise instead.” Here’s the thing, it’s usually not the program that brings the success, but the consistency of your workouts. Be engaged while you exercise, feel your muscles, enjoy the effort and your power. The important thing is that you show up.
- Check in with yourself after your workout. How do you feel? Most likely great! It’s rare that we’ll see someone leaving the gym without a smile on their face. It feels good to feel good. Remember this feeling and use it as motivation to get yourself back to the gym!
- There’s strength in numbers. Our members share the goal to be fit and healthy. These are the type of people you want to know! Working out in a supportive community gives you an extra dose of motivation and accountability. Plus, you’ll make some awesome new friends.
- Get involved. With your membership at the YWCA Health + Fitness Centre you can join group fitness classes, attend member clinics and participate in our member challenges. Let our team motivate you and help you get results!
Get fit and win with our 21-day This is IT member challenge!
This is IT! Take our 21-day challenge and kick-start your 2015 health and fitness goals. Sign up with one of the following teams - Get Fit, Have Fun or Feel Great - and get in a 30-minute workout each day from February 10 to March 3. The team with the highest number of workouts wins the challenge and a selection of awesome prizes, including a draw for a $200 gift card to Sportchek! Learn more.