Mentee recruitment is now closed. We are no longer accepting NextStep applications.
We appreciate your interest in our program. For more information and resources for job seekers, please visit: https://ywcavan.org/programs/employment-programs-services
For a list of our other programs and services, please visit: https://ywcavan.org/programs
The job search can take a long time for many recent post-secondary graduates and new immigrants who have completed post-secondary education.
YWCA’s NextStep Mentorship program aims to bridge these gaps.
How can NextStep help?
YWCA’s NextStep Mentorship is a FREE program that connects recent grads from Fall 2011 - Fall 2015 with one-to-one, group and peer mentorship opportunities.
NextStep connects mentees to:
- Industry professionals through individual and group mentorship
- One-to-one mentorship opportunities for up to six months
- Career-focused and personal development workshops
- Networking opportunities
- Connections to a range of other YWCA programs, including support for single moms, legal educator services, employment services and more
"I got offered a job in my field and I'm proud that my learnings from my NextStep mentor have paid off. I'm thrilled about this opportunity! Thank you for running this fantastic program and giving me a platform to learn. Special thanks for matching me with the most amazing mentor!" – Puja, NextStep mentee
NextStep Mentorship is for adults who:
- Are unemployed (or working less than 20 hours per week) at the time of program admission
- Are living in Metro Vancouver and permitted to work in Canada
- Have completed post-secondary education between Fall 2011 - Fall 2015*
- Have been conducting a professional job search without success for at least 12 months at the time of program admission
- Are seeking employment in professional or skilled careers
- Are keen, motivated and open to learning
- Are able to make a six-month commitment
*At the time of application, post-secondary graduates must have completed their education a minimum of one year ago, and a maximum of five years ago.
Please read our Frequently Asked Questions.
Coordinator, NextStep Mentorship
tel 604 895 5859
The NextStep workshops have been full of very valuable information that make me feel confident as I look for a job. – Amanda, NextStep mentee
Job-hunting is a very hard process. Having support from a mentor is very encouraging and emotionally helpful. – Payam, NextStep mentee
My NextStep mentee has developed more clarity around her career goals, revamped her cover letter and CV, improved her interviewing skills and expanded her network through informational interviews. She has become more strategic in her career search and has a sharper understanding of what she wants and how to get there. – Amy, NextStep mentor