Are you a young professional woman?
Share your experience to help shape the career of a young woman in your community. Mentor a Grade 11 or 12 student through the YWCA High School Mentorship program.
Are you a young professional woman who can spare a few hours each month to provide advice, support, and encouragement? We’re always in need of women from a variety of professions to mentor high school girls in Vancouver and Coquitlam.
How the program works
We’ll match you with a student who has similar career interests and you’ll meet on a monthly basis for seven months. Some activities our mentors and mentees like to do together include:
- Meeting over coffee to chat about career goals and education plans
- Touring universities/colleges
- Researching and discussing education programs/options
- Arranging job shadowing (if appropriate)
- Participating in recreational activities
- Attending workshops, classes, and events together
What it takes to be a mentor
Our volunteer mentors are caring adults who are committed to helping young girls grow professionally. Mentors understand the value of a positive adult friendship and the importance of role models in a young girl’s life. Mentors gain as much from the relationships as the mentees, often making life-long friends.
As a mentor, you will commit to meeting with your mentee once or twice each month, for a minimum of one school year (meetings are from November to the end of June the following year).
How you can get involved
To become a mentor you will need to:
- Complete and submit an application form
- Attend an orientation / training session
- Provide two references
- Complete a Criminal Record Check