Children Who Witness Abuse
Approximately two to six children in every Canadian classroom have witnessed some form of abuse in the home over the past year.
These children often experience the same types of emotional and behavioural problems experienced by children who have been abused themselves.
YWCA Munroe House offers the Children Who Witness Abuse program for children and youth, aged 3 to 18, who have witnessed and/or experienced abuse.
The program helps children to:
- Identify their feelings and express them in healthy ways
- Recognize their strengths and increase their self-confidence
- Understand what abuse is and that they are not responsible
- Identify support networks and develop a safety plan
- Explore stereotypes and myths about relationships and about violence in the media
- Develop conflict resolution skills
The program offers
- Individual counselling for children and youth
- Group counselling for children and youth
- Presentations to the community on the effects of exposure to abuse
For more information, contact:
tel 604 734 5722