Nominations for the 2017 Women of Distinction Awards are now closed.
Please come back and check this webpage in September 2017 for details on submitting a nomination for the 2018 Women of Distinction Awards.
Do you know a woman whose outstanding achievements contribute to the well-being and future of Metro Vancouver? Do you know a business that supports the wellness and diverse needs of its employees?
Support the people and organizations that are making a difference across Metro Vancouver by nominating a woman or workplace for a YWCA Women of Distinction Award.
Eligible nominees must:
- Live and work (individuals) or operate (businesses and organizations) within the Metro Vancouver region bounded by and including Hope, Pemberton, Sunshine Coast and the United States border
- Not currently be taking part in a campaign or serving a term in office as an elected government official
- Satisfy each of the nomination criteria for their award category
- Consent to the nomination and the publication of her/their name, photo and information
- Attend the Women of Distinction Awards photoshoot
- Be available to attend the event on Monday, May 29, 2017.
- For the Young Woman of Distinction category, be 18-25 years of age as of March 8, 2017.
- Satisfy the YWCA Metro Vancouver Women of Distinction Values Statement (see below)
- Submit a quote and participate in the Connecting the Community Award (individuals only)
Nomination criteria - individuals
A Woman of Distinction inspires others. She has achieved outstanding success in her field by:
- Breaking new ground or old barriers
- Showing vision, creativity and initiative
- Being a leader and role model
- Participating actively as a volunteer
- Being recognized by her community for her sustained commitment and contributions within her category (i.e. awards, accolades)
Nomination criteria - Outstanding Workplace
An outstanding workplace supports the wellness and diverse needs of its employees by:
- Being a role model in best workplace practices by implementing an innovative initiative exclusively for employees
- Being progressive and responsive to employee needs, including work-life balance
- Supporting the advancement and success of women
- Fostering professional development and mentorship
- Supporting employee volunteerism and community initiatives
- Promoting healthy lifestyles
How to nominate
All nominations must be completed online. It is important to note that work cannot be saved in the online form. It is recommended that you complete your work in a word processing program, such as Microsoft Word, and then copy and paste it into the form when you are ready.
Please complete all fields on the form, including:
- Nominee and nominator information
- Summary of nomination (120 words maximum)
- Nomination criteria (300 words maximum for each)
- Letters of support
- Optional: supplemental materials
The Nominations Committee reviews all submissions for completeness and eligibility. All accepted nominations are forwarded to an independent Judging Panel. The Nominations Committee and Judging Panel reserve the right to withhold an award in any category.
YWCA Women of Distinction Awards Values Statement
The YWCA Metro Vancouver Women of Distinction Awards encourages nominations that showcase individuals who are driving positive change either directly or by example. Activities and achievements of all potential nominees must align with the YWCA’s values. The candidates’ participation in employment, recreation or special interests encapsulates the spirit of women’s equality as outlined in YWCA Metro Vancouver’s mission and vision. The YWCA reserves the right to revoke an award if subsequent circumstances respecting the recipient contradict the mission, ethics and / or values of YWCA Metro Vancouver or bring its reputation into disrepute. The nominee or nominator may withdraw the nomination, for any reason, up to two weeks before the award ceremony. The withdrawal must be made in writing, notifying the nominator/nominee and the YWCA of the withdrawal. The YWCA will accept the withdrawal, effective immediately.